Several weeks ago I was very excited to see the 50th anniversary Dr. Who movie, The Day of the Doctor, in 3D. The drawback was that the movie only had one showing; 7:30 p.m. on a Tuesday, night. That’s right; I would have to stay up late on a school night if I wanted to see the Doctor!
I am a little embarrassed to admit that on week nights, while school is in session, I am a creature of habit. Like most people, I can be busy until well into the evening but these activities have a goal or purpose attached to them along with a schedule. Doing something as frivolous as going to a movie just seems out of the question when I know I need to be up no later than 5:30 a.m. the next morning and it isn’t even anybody’s birthday.
The evening of the movie I paid extra attention to the events going on around me. The theater was packed with other people who most likely had jobs to report to the next day. Nearby restaurants were filled with families enjoying leisurely dinners. I was amazed to realize that people out after 6:00 p.m. aren’t all just running errands for the next day or picking up kids from sports practice. Some people actually enjoy coffee, ice cream, movies, and restaurants during the week. What a concept. It dawned on me that I needed to put a little weekend into my week nights, at least every once in a while.
I know myself well enough to know that while a concert or movie is great every now and then, anything I try to add to my week nights on a regular basis needs to be relaxing and not take up too much extra time. I do have responsibilities and a schedule. So after some reflection on my situation, here are some things I decided to try in order to add some enjoyment to my midweek routines and put a little weekend into my week.
- Light a candle and pick some inspiring music to listen when I get home.
- Actually set the table and relax while I eat. (If you are single you will especially understand how easy it is to skip the whole dinner at the table thing.)
- Indulge in something I usually enjoy only on the weekends like a latte (decaf of course).
- Take a short walk or drive and explore different neighborhoods. Stop and enjoy any parks or shops I may come across.
- Mix things up and eat breakfast for dinner.
- Pick or buy some flowers to enjoy throughout the week.
- Take the time to talk and really enjoy conversations with my neighbors or anyone else I may come in contact with during the course of my evening.
- Engage in an activity I enjoy, such as working on a craft, before I go to bed.
- Keep in mind that if I wait for the weekend to relax and enjoy a few simple pleasures a whole lot of life is going to pass me by. Friday is a state of mind!
What do you do to put some weekend in your week? I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas!
Great suggestions! I like to practise yoga to give myself a little time to relax when I get home.
Yoga is great. I do it on Wednesdays to break up my workout routine.
I’ve really enjoyed your new blog…very nice! I recently taught myself to crochet… Makes it at least feel like I’m doing something productive when I watch TV in the evenings!
Thanks, I am glad you are enjoying the blog! Crochet is a nice way to make an evening special 🙂
I ոeeded to thank you for this excellent read!! I certaіnly enjoyed every bit of it.
I have got you book mɑrked to look at new stuff you post…